Every parent would always anticipate that their little one will take their first step or stand upright. This is an immense joy to watch for parents as it comes with the relief of having to carry the child about and that your little one is strong enough to walk. To make this process easy for your kid, get the best baby push toys for a one-year-old.
The best push toys for a 1-year-old helps to increase balancing and enhance the process of ambulation for your little one. We have outlined the best push toys on the market for you and some factors to consider before purchasing below.
Which push Walker is the best?
Buy on Amazon
Why Would Your Baby Need Push Toys?
Push toys usually help your baby develop essential skills such as strength, balance and coordination. It also helps them learn to walk and become more confident in their walking capabilities. So when investing in baby toys, you can start with the push toys, which are vital to helping your baby stand. So your baby will teeter along behind it as they find their feet. However, they might require a bit of help at first and a nice cushioned diaper to prevent them from injury after falling back on their bottom.
Therefore, ensure you stand your baby and put their hands on the push-along bar, and they will soon be off running around the home on their own. Most push toys resemble items your baby sees as you push around like, vacuums, grocery carts or lawnmowers. Kids will love to think they're helping, so the toys usually fuel their imagination and stimulate fantasy play. Besides, most of these push walkers have stimulating or educational content toys built in. It might be songs, shape sorters, counting games, noise, building blocks and more.
Now that we understand the need for push toys, let's check out the best baby push toys on the market.
The 12 Best Push Toys For 1-Year-Old
1. VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
- Removable Tray: The activity-packed, detachable panel is perfect for babies who can sit up; it can also re-attach to the walker for on-the-run fun on both carpet and bare floors
- Auditory Training: The activity center for baby boys & girls includes five piano keys that play musical notes and a telephone handset to encourage creativity and role-play fun
- Motor Development: 3 shape sorters, light-up buttons, and colorful spinning rollers are featured on the baby rolling walker to help define motor skills
- Balance Development: The toddler walker activity center helps the development of stability & movement skills as well as fine motor skills & hand-eye coordination
- Adjustable: Two-speed control switch on the walker allows growth along with your little one's changing speeds; the perfect baby walker for boys and girls alike
This is a perfect push toy for the little ones who are just learning to stand and walk. This product is durable as it will last longer with your toddler. This push toy teaches shapes, animals, and a variety of other subjects. The toy will help your child with learning balance; it is a versatile product that will work well indoor and outdoor.
2. Kolcraft Tiny Steps Infant and Baby Activity Walker, 2-in-1
- 2-IN-1 CONVERTIBLE DESIGN -- Easily converts from seated activity walker to a walk-behind walker for boys and girls! Independent front swivel wheels for easy maneuvering and skid -resistant friction pads on base
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT -- Adjustable seat pad height to grow with your baby. Skid-resistant friction pads on base for child safety. The high foam seat back provides added support and comfort for boys and girls
- FUN TOYS & ACTIVITIES -- Entertain baby girl or boy with fun developmental toys: upright flower mirror with crinkle petals and textured stem, spinning ball for batting play and bead bar for motor skill development. Great for gift-giving, baby registry and baby showers
- COMPACT FOLD FOR STORAGE -- Easily folds flat for storage and compact enough for your trips away from home. Folded dimensions: 30" L x 24.3" W x 8" H
- EASY CLEAN -- Machine-washable seat pad for quick clean-ups. Wipe plastic parts with a damp cloth using mild soap. One-year manufacturer warranty. JPMA Certified
The baby activity walker can accommodate babies from 15 lbs who can hold their heads high and support themselves on their feet. The adjustable seat of this toy allows them to sit and play or even walk along while supported. So, once the baby is ready to pull themselves up and walk, the toy converts to a push toy.
Activities on this baby include a bead bar, flower mirror with crinkly and a spinning ball to keep your kid entertained and develop fine motor skills. Besides, the wheels can't be locked for speed though the walker can be folded flat.
3. LeapFrog Scout's 3-in-1 Get Up and Go, Walker,
- Grows with your child by easily transforming from a baby gym with dangling toys to a light-up activity panel and into a walker with speed control
- Three modes play melodies and sound effects; introduce colors, shapes, letters and numbers or encourage physical movement
- Interactive features encourage fine motor skills and include five piano keys, a phone, bead spinner, two dangling toys and more
- Customizable wheels can be set at different speeds to match your child's ability level
- Color-changing dome lights up in six different colors to enhance the music and learning. Requires 2 AA batteries (batteries included for demo purposes only, new batteries recommended for regular use); intended for ages 3 months to 3 years
Although wooden walkers are great options, they cannot recite numbers, colors and letters to a baby like the LeapFrog Scout's Get Up and Go Walker does. However, the toy allows your baby to learn a lot of vocabulary from the LeapFrog 100 Words book, and daily reading to your baby exposes them to words in their play. Moreover, the walking toy grows with your baby. It usually starts as a baby gym for the beginning walkers.
At the sitting stage, babies can easily play with it as an activity panel. Then your baby can use it as a walker. Besides, the toy has speed control wheels allowing you to set the wheels to a slow speed for novice walkers.
4. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Chomp and Clack Alligator Wooden Push Toy and Activity Walker
- WOODEN WALKER WITH ENGAGING ACTIVITIES: The Melissa & Doug Chomp & Clack Alligator Push Toy is a wooden activity walker for babies on the move. It features three chomping alligators, fish on the wheels, and spinning butterfly and ladybug beads.
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION AND CRAFTSMANSHIP: Our alligator push toy is made with high- quality materials and assembled to precision manufacturing standards. This keeps it safe for children 12 months and older to use.
- MAKES SOUNDS WHEN MOVED: This child push toy makes a gentle clacking noise when it is pushed. This cheerful toy encourages gross and fine motor skills while developing hand-eye coordination.
- GIFT FOR 12 MONTHS AND UP: This toy is a great gift for kids 12 months and up. Add the Melissa & Doug First Play Wooden Elephant Rocking Stacker to round out the hands-on play experience and give kids an engaging option for screen-free fun.
- “THE GOLD STANDARD IN CHILDHOOD PLAY”: For more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that NBC News called “the gold standard in early childhood play.”
The Melissa and Doug Deluxe Chomp and Clack Wooden Walker come with wood construction with bright green alligators that usually "chomp," and clack as your baby pushes it across the wooden floors. Your baby can also play with the walking toy from a sitting position by spinning the colorful ladybugs and butterflies on the backside of the toy walker.
Your baby will love the fun clacking noises from the alligators when the walking toy is pushed. They also enjoy watching the alligators' mouths move like they were chomping down on something. Besides, this sturdy walker has a long horizontal handle your baby can quickly grasp. Also, the walker works well on carpeting and hard floors. However, the walker is ideal for a baby who already has balance and walking skills instead of not walking yet.
5. Little Tikes Shopping Cart
- Sturdy walls keep small items in
- Deep basket
- A favorite toy can ride in the fold-down seat
- Storage underneath basket provide plenty of space for a child's favorite things
- Accessories not included; Made in USA
This is a best-selling push toy, and it has the shape of the great white shark's dorsal fin. The product presents a deep basket shopping cart, and it features a storage basket that is below the seat and can be easily folded. This push toy looks just like a real shopping cart and comes with wide wheels in terms of design.
Babies can pretend to put items into the walker, promoting healthy pretend play, an essential part of development. Also, it helps the child build excellent social skills, and you will love that your child gets to enhance their motor skills and fine motor skills all along while having fun.
6. Fisher-Price Corn Popper
- Classic toddler push toy with colorful balls that pop around inside
- Push the toy along for exciting ball-popping sounds and action
- Encourages baby to walk with fun popping sounds and action
- Helps strengthen gross motor skills and introduces baby to cause and effect
- Requires some assembly. For infants and toddlers ages 12 months and older
If you want your toddler to start learning the basics of walking steps, this is the best product on the market for that. The product features a clear plastic dome that comes with popping balls while your kid pushes the toy about. The cognitive development factor is also one of the best parts of these push along with toys; the enhancement of sensory skill development is on the list of features for the kids. A downside to this is its rugged plastic design.
7. Bright Starts Giggling Gourmet Shop' n Cook Walker
- 4 modes of play to grow with baby: sit & play removable cook top; stand & play activity table; push & walk behind; and remove cook top for shopping cart
- Popcorn really pops when baby walks or pushes button
- Light up button causes sizzling Cooking sounds
- Sunny side up egg roller.Shape sorter for put and take fun
- Manufacturer's Suggested age: 6-36 months
This product boasts four different ways to have fun and interact; it comes with a sit and play activity feature and stand and walk enhancement. The toy enhances your child's gross motor skills, and it helps boost your little one's gross motor skills. But, its best part is that it helps your child to stimulate creativity and imagination. This is a beautiful giggling Gourmet that will intrigue your little one's fun life and increase their psyche's prowess.
8. Award-Winning Hape Wonder Walker Push and Pull Toddler Walking Toy
- Moveable knobs, gears, and colorful balls offer five different activities
- Develops coordination and fine motor skills
- Carefully designed rubber-trimmed setback wheels will protect floors
- Sturdy wood craftsmanship from sustainably sourced forests
- Non-toxic finishes and child safe materials
With the Hape wonder walker toddler toy, you are investing in one of the best and durable products on the market. The product is wooden made, and it is lined with rubber trimmed wheels and comes with a child-safe finish. The product presents moving knobs, colored spinning balls, and spinning gears. It offers the enhancement of motor skills and helps to stimulate cognitive development in your toddler. The major downside to this product is that it only steers straight, and assembly may last for up to 30 minutes.
9. Radio Flyer Classic Wood Walker Wagon
- BABY PUSH WALKER: The Classic Walker Wagon has resistance clickers to allow beginners to build confidence and balance. The resistance clickers prevent the product from moving too quickly
- FURNITURE BUMPER: The furniture friendly bumper protects your home while beginners learn to walk. This round bumper will prevent scratches or wall damage
- TOY STORAGE: The Classic Walker Wagon doubles as a toy box. Your toddler can store their favorite toys for imaginative play indoors or bring them with on walking adventures
- CLASSIC DESIGN: The natural all-wood body and removable wooden side panels create this classic look
- SPECIFICATIONS: Assembled dimensions are 22.4“ L x 14.6“ W x 17.1” H. Interior body dimensions are 22.5” L x 10.25” W. For ages 1 – 4 years
This wooden walker comes with a resist-push feature that allows your baby to build up their confidence and balance. As the baby progress, they can fill the middle with toys to push around with them. Besides, the wheels push in a straight line enabling it to keep the baby on track, and there is a bumper usually protects your furniture from damage.
However, the wooden sides are removable, which could be a problem if your baby likes climbing. The good thing is that the walking toy is ideal for ages 1 to 4 years, so your kid can still enjoy playing with it until they are 4 years of age.
10. Fisher-Price Bright Beginnings Activity Walker
- Hands-on activities for sit & play fun
- Two grow-with-me ways to play:
- Folds flat for sitting babies
- Converts to a sturdy walker to steady first steps
- Busy activities including flipping doors, turning gears, sliding beads and more
If you want your kid to have a more engaging experience, this is the best push toy to invest your money on. Your Toddlers master the process of sitting, standing and walking while playing with this push toy. In addition, the Fisher-Price Bright Beginnings Activity Walker features learning capabilities that will help your child develop faster. The best part of this product is that it can fold up and down for sitters and walkers, and your little one will enjoy the portability of this product.
11. Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Sit, Stride & Ride Lion Toy
- 3 ways to play!
- Press light-up nose for fun sounds, songs, tunes & phrases!
- The mane event! The 10 light-up buttons teach numbers & colors
- “Feed” balls to the lion to hear silly sounds and more as the balls spill out below!
- Helps give developing motor skills a busy workout
This Fisher-Price product offers three fun ways to play; the ride on, the walk-behind toy and the interactive activity center. The product teaches numbers one to ten and also offers interactive and light-up activities. This will encourage your child's gross motor skill development. As a result, fine motor skill development will occur, and your child's cognitive development will be enhanced. Your child can either choose to stand, sit or walk while playing with this product. The downside to this is that taller toddlers will find the handle low.
12. Award-Winning Hape Dancing Butterflies Push and Pull
- Colorful version of the classic push toy will give hours of fun while providing a great form of exercise
- Includes a handle to push, spinning butterflies, two wheels, and a rainbow of colors
- Develops coordination, balance, and motor skills
- Recommended for ages 12 months and up
- Non-toxic finishes and child safe materials
Hape is one of the classic push toys that boast maximum fun for your little one. This product is great for toddlers learning to stand, walk and sit. This dancing butterfly is presented with two large wheels connecting with a mechanism that spins the top of the product with three beautiful, well-colored butterflies. It helps to boost your child's balance when trying to take their first walking step. In addition, this push toy helps to simulate cause and effect development. Finally, it encourages gross motor skills.
Read Also: Best Push Cars For Toddlers
What Are the Benefits of Baby Push Toys for 1-Year-Old
Besides helping the baby have walking abilities, these walking toys have other benefits, which include;
1. Promotes wrist extension. When your baby is playing with a baby walker, they get a wrist extension which is essential for handwriting skills in the future.
2. The baby walker usually encourages floor play/tummy time. The baby benefits from pushing up through the lower limbs and working on weight shifting as they reach out to play with the toy.
3. The toy is at the ideal level so that it's right in front of your baby's face promoting visual attention.
4. The baby walkers promote bilateral coordination. The baby can stabilize with the left hand and access the toy with the right hand meaning there is a coordination of both hands.
5. The toy usually promotes eye-hand coordination, especially when accessing the gadgets or buttons on the toy.
6. Playing with toys in the vertical plane (such as the baby push toy) usually promotes strengthening of the arms, hands and shoulder complex since the baby has to work a little harder to reach forward and push the various parts of the toy.
Criteria For Selecting The Best Push Toys For 1-Year-Old
1. Physical development
Push toys are a highly recommended toy that will help your toddler learn the ambulation process. As widely believed, push and pull toys are the bedrock of a child's physical development. In addition, these types of toys help the child in various other ways. This is why you should consider which of the toys offers this attribute best before buying them.
Because toddlers are still in the learning phase of walking and standing, there is always that tiny chance that will bring about accidents due to mistakes and many other factors. This is why you should choose the best product that offers the safest conditions for your little ones.
Choosing the best push toys for your toddler is already a big task, but still, you need to consider the durability and sturdiness of the product you are buying. In addition, it has to come with a flat base that will work fine with your toddler.
4. Social development
The push toy you are buying should not just offer fun to your toddler; it should also help your child's cognitive development and social skills, so it will help them while growing. It should also be able to teach them in terms of education. Consider this before your purchase.
5. Ease of use
We recommend ensuring the baby toy is easy to use for you and your baby. Look for a toy that's lightweight enough for your kid to carry and lift and also has easy-to-use features. Also, it is crucial since it can be easily wiped clean and stored.
6. Educational and sounds
Toys can help your baby develop fine motor skills, sensor development and more. Besides, the best push toys for 1-year-old babies will introduce them to different textures, colors, numbers, sounds and much more.
On the other hand, sound is a primary factor in parents' decisions about their babies and toddlers. So, do you want the toy to make sounds? If so, do you want the sounds to be electronic or the natural sounds the materials used for the toy make when they work together? Or, do you prefer toys that talk or play music to your baby or do you like thy focus on exploring their favorite toys on their own time and terms?
When shopping for the best baby push toys, the size of the toy matters too. Do you have enough space to store a large toy? Besides, do you have an open area for your baby to push or ride on a giant toy? Or, do you prefer a smaller or more compact toy that will work better for your space?
8. Stand or sit to use
Push toys are designed to be played within a standing/walking or sitting position. Therefore, when buying the toy, you need to think about your baby's interests, strengths and balance to help you decide. For example, is there already a skillful walker? Do they require something to hold onto and walk with to help them maintain balance? Or would you prefer to buy them something they can confidently push from a sitting position?
9. Ride-on capability
Some push toy models also come as a ride-on toy allowing your baby to sit on and ride. Therefore, you will need to decide whether this is something you want or not before you decide about which toy to buy. To help you decide, think about if your baby will mainly be using the toy under supervision. Also, you will need to consider the size of the area where your baby will be playing with the push toy when deciding whether you want to buy a push toy that your baby can also ride on.
Before the toy, consider the materials of the different baby push toys. Do you prefer something made from natural material such as wood ( wooden push toy)? Or would you want something made from plastic that's easy to wipe clean?
Read Also: Best Pull Toys For 1-Year-Old.
What Are the Safety Tips For Using Baby Push Toys
1. Avoid leaving your baby alone.
We recommend you constantly monitor your baby when on the walking toy. If you're outdoor, the baby can walk to places that are out of bound. But, conversely, when it comes to indoors, the baby might way to the edge of the stairs or other risky places. To avoid such accidents, ensure the baby has supervision.
2. Monitor the toy's weight limit
Babies and toddlers usually grow, and you might not even realize that the baby might have outgrown the weight and age limit of the push walker. If the baby walker topples or leans even with regular use, then it's evidence that your little one is heavy for the baby walker.
3. Check for wear & tear.
Regular use usually causes stress on different parts of the toy. Therefore, check for cracks, damage, or loose parts that can cause a risk to your baby.
The benefits of baby push toys are so much that you would appreciate getting the product for your toddler to enhance their balancing, walking, standing and sitting process. Listed above are the best push toys for 1-year-old on the market, and this is targeted at helping you ease the stress of shopping wrongly. We are sure you will find it easy to get the best push toys for one-year-old in the market with the above-stated guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Baby Push Toys for 1 Year Old?
1. What's the difference between a baby walker and a push walker?
A baby walker is usually a walker where your baby sits in a seat with their feet hanging and touching the floor. The seat they're in is on wheels; therefore, if they move their feet, they will "walk," moving the walker. Conversely, a baby push walker helps the baby with additional supports but walks in a more usual position. However, the baby walkers can be tight on a baby's hips and don't allow them to walk in the natural position.
2. What're the various types of push toys?
Some of the push toy models allow your baby to push or pull when they're sitting on the floor. Besides, most baby push toys are usually designed like a baby walker to help the baby have something to hold onto when your baby starts walking. Conversely, some push toys come with a single, more extended handle for a more skillful walker to push. Moreover, some push toys are designed to use as a walker or ride-on-toy to ride while you push them.
3. Are push toys really bad for babies?
Although push toys might seem like unnecessary clutter in the living room, they're very beneficial for your kid's development, according to Kendra Ped.
4. Where should my one-year-old baby be, developmentally?
Here are the milestones of a 1-year old baby;
- The baby gets to sitting position with no assistance
- The baby crawls forward on belly by pushing with legs and pulling with arms
- Usually assumes a hands-and-knees position
- Creeps on knees and hands supporting trunk on hands and knees
- The baby gets from sitting to crawling or prone (lying on the belly) position.
- Pulls self up to stand.
5. What's a baby push walker?
A push walker toy is a huge accessory with wheels that your baby can push while walking. The toy usually resembles a mini car, though a baby push toy can have any other shape too. The primary design stays the same - wheels on the body and a long handle for your baby to hold while pushing. Besides, the main body of the walker is usually weighted to prevent the baby push toy from toppling. Some other common names of a baby push walker are push wagon and kiddie push car.