When setting up your nursery, you need to pay close attention to the most important aspects of the room you will spend most of your time in, and one of them is investing in the best nursery glider. Although nursery gliders and rocking chairs are not necessary, they are very handy, and these gliders have a back and forth movement and can help soothe your baby to sleep. Notably, gliders are quite different from a rocking chair because they move and back and forth in a stationary base, while the traditional rocking chairs usually have two curved bands at the base.
When choosing your nursing chairs, you ought to consider your nursery's size and the space the best nursery glider will occupy. However, many brands claim to have the best nursery gliders, and therefore, choosing the best can be a daunting task. Therefore, this article has listed the best gliders in the market with their advantages and disadvantages and has included an informational buying guide to help you navigate the buying process.
1. Storkcraft Premium Hoop Glider and Ottoman
- COMPLETE GLIDER WITH OTTOMAN SET: Complete premium 2-piece nursery glider and ottoman set; Comfortable, padded arm cushions with pockets for added storage convenience; Enclosed metal ball bearings make for a smooth and gentle nursery rocking experience
- SAFETY TESTED: Expert tested by third-party, accredited laboratories to meet or exceed all applicable category voluntary and mandatory safety standards; Applied finish tested to meet or exceed applicable ASTM and CPSIA safety standards
- AWARD-WINNING BRAND: Exclusively from Storkcraft, proud recipient of the 2022 Women’s Choice Award for 9 out of 10 Customer Recommended Baby & Kids Furniture and Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Seal of Approval for nursery and children’s furniture
- QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP: Crafted with rubberwood framing, engineered wood, and wood composites; Glider and ottoman cushions upholstered in a durable, easy-to-clean polyester material (available in multiple colors to match your nursery); Assembly required
- DIMENSIONS: Glider Width (25.75 inches) x Depth (24.75 inches) x Height (39.5 inches) | Ottoman Width (19 inches) x Depth (14.5 inches) x Height (14 inches) | Boxed Dimensions: Depth (34.5 inches) x Width (22.63 inches) x Height (21.19 inches
Storkcraft Premium hoop glider is the best nursery glider, and it offers maximum comfort on a budget as it is an affordable nursery glider. It features a solid wood base covered with an attractive fabric that makes any baby's room look amazing, and it is spacious enough to fit both you and your baby. In addition, the smooth gliding chair comes with an extra-wide seat and padded arm cushions that feature storage pockets to store feeding essentials for late-night feedings or your favorite bedtime story.
In addition, both the matching ottoman and the chair glide back and forth to help soothe your baby, thanks to the enclosed metal ball bearings that guarantee a smooth rocking motion. The nursing chair is the best affordable nursery glider that can be easily added to a baby registry. It is available in plenty of color options that will match your room's decor. All of the cushions include a lovely chevron design with an inverted V-shaped pattern that will zigzag across the entire fabric.
2. DaVinci Olive Glider and Ottoman
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- DESIGNED FOR PARENT AND BABY: Metal base that allows for a smooth and gentle 360 degree swivel motion and forward and backward gliding so you can be comfortable as you feed or rock your baby to sleep
- COMFORTABLE HEADREST: Being a parent is hard work! High back allows moms and dads to comfortably lean back for some much needed rest. Bonus lumbar pillow & ottoman included
- EMISSIONS-TESTED: Foam used in the seat meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements and is CertiPUR-US certified which certifies the foam is made without PBDE or Tris flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde and CFCs
- FSC CERTIFIED WOOD: Wood used in the frame of this product comes from well-managed, FSC-certified forests. The FSC label means that wood has been harvested to benefit communities, wildlife, and the environment
The DaVinci Olive Glider is a soft, durable glider that is made of 100% polyester with a stylish design that will blend into your nursery decor or anywhere in your house. It is a gorgeous nursery glider made with a high back that gives neck and back supports, and additional support includes a lumbar pillow. The glider chair is suitable for shorter moms because it sits lower to the ground, and with a 360-degree swivel mechanism, it is beneficial if you need to reach something to help you stand up.
DaVinci Olive Nursery Glider comes with a matching Ottoman that you can use to rest your feet, and all parts come readily assembled, and this makes it an easy addition. The swivel glider is suitable for small rooms or tight spaces, and it comes with a removable top with side storage for extra diapers or toys and a convenient side pocket. In addition, it is Greenguard gold certified, meaning the make is not of harsh chemicals, and it also exceeds fire-resistance standards.
3. Nursery Works Sleepytime Rocker
- Modern Contemporary Rocker: Sleepytime is a refreshingly modern take on the traditional rocking chair with a structured, padded square back design that sits upon elegantly curved ash hardwood legs. Removable lumbar pillow included.
- Attention to Detail: Constructed and upholstered by hand in a soft polyester blend.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified: The Sleepytime has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment in your home.
- Safe for Home: Meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements and is free of chemical flame retardants, Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs), and Formaldehyde.
- Setup & Care: No tools required to setup. Spot clean with a cloth and warm water, solvents, foam or cotton-based cleaners.
Nursery Works Sleepytime Rocker is one of the best nursery gliders designed with enough seating space to comfortably accommodate the mother and baby. It is also made with quality materials like the blend of viscose and polyester, and linen. The nursery glider is super functional and will improve your baby's nursery a lot with its chic and sleek design, and it has also been hand-upholstered featuring ash hardwood legs that allow it to rock smoothly. Thanks to a wide seat base, this the best glider to comfortably feed, cuddle and rock your little one while looking cool.
Nursery Works nursery chair is a perfect choice for a modern nursery thanks to the structured and padded square back design, and it's also available in nine upholstery options. It can also qualify as the best rocking chair in the market. The nursery glider also comes with a removable lumbar support pillow, and also because it's Greenguard Gold Certified. It means that it has been carefully tested for chemicals to guarantee a clean and healthy indoor.
4. Babyletto Kiwi Swivel Reclining Glider
- Modern wingback style recliner with hidden push-button control panel and USB charging port
- Smooth and quiet reclining mechanism lowers headrest and raises footrest
- Swivels 270 degrees and glides back and forth in upright position
- Constructed and upholstered by hand
- Free of chemical retardants and meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements
Babyletto Kiwi Swivel is the best modern nursery glider that is quite expensive, but you will get value for your money because it's where tech meets comfort. The nursery glider reclines at the push of a button, and it is made from eco-friendly stain-resistant fabric. The classic rocking chair is also Greenguard Gold certified, which means that it is free of any harmful chemicals. The Kiwi Power Recliner Glider also has a push-button control on the interior side, and the available colors can comfortably match your nursery.
To make it better, the Babyletto Kiwi glider swivel rocker chair features a built-in USB port hidden into the armrest that charges your devices while you are tending to your little one. The USB port means you don't have to place the nursery glider next to a power outlet. In addition, the sturdy construction and a wingback style help to fit any nursery aesthetic, even small spaces, and the glider chair makes a perfect spot to soothe a fussy baby while it glides back and forth.
5. Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel Gliding Recliner
- Square silhouette with track arm design, button tufted backrest upholstery and elegant welt trim detailing.
- Enclosed ball bearing mechanism for both a rotating swivel function & smooth gliding motion.
- Sturdy construction with supportive spring core foam filled seat.
- Minimal assembly required. Available in a number of color and fabric options. 1-year limited warranty.
- Product dimensions: 30"L x 37"W x 41.75"H. Weight limit: 225 lbs. Net weight: 89.1 lbs. Shipping dimensions: 32"L x 30"W x 32"H. Gross weight: 103.4 lbs.
Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel glider is one of the best nursery gliders for your baby's nursery because it comes with three functional positions to enable you to get the perfect angle for rocking or feeding your little one. It is a modern nursery glider thanks to a square silhouette at the chair's back and provides maximum comfort. The glider not only swivels 360 degrees and has seamless gliding, and also the chair reclines.
Baby Relax Mikayla's nursery chair is built with a supportive core foam-filled seat that offers maximum support and comfort. In addition, unlike most nursery gliders, this one has designs on its backrest that give it a fashionable look to your baby's nursery. As a result, this glider is one of the best options if you are looking for a combination of swiveling, reclining, and gliding.
What to Consider Before Purchasing the Best Nursery Gliders
This is one of the most important considerations when shopping for the best nursery glider because you can't afford to be uncomfortable while nursing your little one. The best nursery gliders should give a mother ample support on the head and the back while giving them enough room to adjust their position while still accommodating your body size.
Your feet should reach the floor at an angle that is comfortable to you, and also it would be a bonus if the nursery glider came with pockets to hold the baby gear, such as burp cloths. Additionally, to maximize comfort, you should opt for a chair that will be high enough for you to rest your head, especially during the late-night feedings comfortably.
A nursery glider or a rocking chair is quite an investment, and therefore you should ensure your nursing chair has a sturdy and solid frame. The frame should also not have sharp edges or moving parts exposed to avoid gaps in the framework or pinching of fingers that could hurt you or your child. If you purchase a chair with a durable construction, you are guaranteed it will last for long periods and can also be used when you decide to add children in the future.
3. Locking Mechanism
Some gliders feature built-in locks to avoid gliding forward with the chair and keep the glider going back and forth. This mechanism is beneficial because it makes it easy for a parent to stand up with their baby in their arms and avoid hurting their toes and fingers once their toddlers become curious and active.
On top of all the features, most gliders include an ottoman that matches the fabric of the best nursery glider, but some modern lines need you to purchase separately. The ottoman set is usually made specifically for your glider and with the same motion as the rocking chair to help you comfortably rest your feet.
5. Easy to Clean
In the early months of your little one's life, the glider and rocking chair might experience all sorts of messes ranging from spit-up, drool, or diaper overflow. Therefore, you should have an easy-to-clean nursery glider or come with a washable seat cover to ease the whole process.
6. Padded Armrests
When nursing your little one, your arms need maximum support as you hold your child to avoid getting uncomfortable. Therefore, your choice of the nursing chair should have either padded arms, rounded roll arms, or a nursing pillow that will comfortably fit next to or over the armrest.
The chair should be easy to get in or out of without waking the baby up mistakenly, and nothing can be worse than startling the baby after struggling to get them to sleep. Also, some chairs tend to rock and produce a loud sound, and therefore, it's crucial to opt for a nursery glider that will not squeak and silently rock. Any sound will be annoying and distract the baby's sleep, making you have to rock the baby repeatedly.
8. Additional Storage
The additional storage is not a crucial factor, but it makes a great bonus, so it's important to a gliding chair. These storage pockets can be handy to store extra toys, magazines, favorite lullaby books, pacifiers, and even your iPod or phone, making them quite important.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is It Better to Choose a Glider or a Rocking Chair?
For your nursery seating, it's important to get a chair that you like and are comfortable in. For example, most moms prefer the stability of nursery gliders instead of a rocking chair, but they serve the same purpose with some significant differences.
Nursery gliders are more comfortable because they are more modern than rocking chairs. They also have wider seats and serve almost the same purpose as a recliner as they swivel from side to side, and this will help the baby drift off to sleep faster. On the other hand, traditional rocker chairs are mainly made of wood and can only rock back and forth. Additionally, nursery gliders are mainly designed for feeding or reading to a baby, while rocking chairs are designed for anyone to enjoy.
2. Do I need the best nursery glider for the nursery?
A nursery glider is not necessary for shopping for the baby gears and baby's room decor, but it's important to note that some glider or rocker will benefit you as a parent. This is because you need to comfortably rest while nursing or feeding your baby, and a glider or rocking chair is a perfect solution.