When it comes to your diaper bag, you're right to want the very best. After all, this is your trusted tool every time you leave the house with a baby in hand. Whether you're a new mum or you're shopping around to replace your current bag, leaving the house can sometimes feel intimidating. It can often feel as if there are so many things you need to carry and organize. That's where the best diaper bag comes in.
The best diaper bag allows you to be able to organize your life literally. They feature plenty of pockets allowing you to pack all your baby's gear plus your essentials. That way, while you're out and about with your baby, you don't have to worry. Everything's neatly sorted out in your bag. There are different styles to choose from, be it backpacks or totes.
We created a guide that outlines the features to consider when buying the best diaper bags and listed our top favorites in the market.
The Best Diaper Bags of 2021
1. Skip Hop Diaper Bag Backpack
The Skip Hop Diaper Bag combines the storage of a large diaper bag with hands-free convenience. It features multiple exterior and interior pockets and packing cubes that allow you to keep everything you need organized.
The shoulder straps are cushioned and comfortable, while the stroller straps allow you to attach the diaper bag to your stroller or wear it as a backpack. The Skip Hop diaper backpack is made of polyester. The diaper backpack comes with two packaging pockets; 1 insulated pocket that's perfect for bottles and beverages and a multipurpose mesh pocket for clothing or snacks.
The Skip Hop diaper backpack includes a cushioned changing pad that is machine washable, and the multi-function changing pad pocket can hold tablets and laptops that are up to 15 inches.
2. Ruvalino Diaper Bag Backpack
- What you'll get - 1 normal size backpack diaper bag with changing pad (dimension: 11.8l x 7.8w x 16.5h inches, Weight: 1.78lb; Mat Size: 23l x 15w inches). Two big zipper closure compartments and 16 pockets, Spacious enough to hold most of baby essentials and still look perfectly organized and compact, without being too large or too small. Insulated bottle pockets can hold most of wide neck or tall baby bottles, from 5 oz to 11oz.
- Upgrade Handy Construture - The interior of our diaper bag includes a padded laptop pocket, mesh pocket organizers and other organization essentials. Maintain the temperature of your baby bottles in the insulated pockets, never lose your keys and wallet in the mommy pocket, and quickly grab a diaper out of the mesh diaper organizer.
- Designed for Convenience - Extra wide opening makes this diaper backpack easy to find essentials in a pinch, and dual zippers for easy-access & closure even with one hand! Easy-grab handle & back ergonomic design & thick padded shoulder straps offer you a comfortable carrying and of force reinforcement.
- Convertible and so Versatile - This diaper bag can use as backpack, handbag, also can hang on the stroller. Elegant and suitable for many occasion like shopping, traveling etc. Moreover, practical and unisex design make this diaper bag backpack perfect for travel with your boys & girls, an ideal baby shower gift!
- Durable that'll last for years - Our diaper backpack is made of lightweight, durable and waterproof fabric (Stronger than twill polyester baby bag, better in deform resistance & tear resistance). Non-fraying stitching, and strong zippers. Reinforced seams in shoulder straps and handle, without ripping.
The Ruvalino Diaper offers a great combination of style and convenience at an affordable price. The bag comes with a waterproof changing pad. The backpack-style diaper bag features two big zipper closure compartments and 16 pockets, giving you enough storage to organize all your essentials.
The main compartment is designed in a conventional school bag style, thus allowing you to zip/unzip it with one hand. The pockets include insulated pockets that hold most wide neck or tall baby bottles, from 5 oz to 11oz. It also includes a diaper organizer, which is great for organizing wipes and diapers.
There's a mommy pocket where you can store your wallet, phone, or keys, and lastly, there's a zippered pocket on the back where you can store your phone or other small items. The shoulder straps are thickly padded hence making them comfortable to wear. The diaper bag is super versatile as it can be carried as a backpack, handbag, or on a stroller.
3. HaloVa Diaper Bag
- Backpack & Tote 2 in 1, 24L Large Capacity, 1.4lb Lightweight.
- Has all the space & pockets you need for baby and mommy supplies.
- Waterproof & durable oxford fabric, no-odor, load up to 40lbs.
- Washable - Machine wash & Hand Wash.
- 2 years of quality problems free replacement.
The HaloVa Diaper Bag is a 2 in 1 Backpack and Tote Baby Bag. It's the best diaper bag for traveling as it's super stylish and allows you to pack as much as you can. The baby bag is waterproof and is made of durable oxford fabric.
It features a large zippered main compartment that offers easy access hence allowing you to view all your contents at once. The bag has an insulated three-bottle storage pocket on the front and a wet clothes compartment on the back. It has side pockets that can hold a tissue dispenser and a bottle.
4. Skip Hop Messenger Diaper Bag
- The updated Duo Signature boasts a bevy of new features that moms and dads have requested: zip-top closure ensures belongings stay securely in the diaper bag, tote handles for versatility and an easy-access tech pocket.
- New front panel design allows for more storage and stability while keeping items at the bottom of the bag easily accessible.
- The redesigned Duo Signature still has all the classic components of the original including our patented shuttle clips that easily convert it from a shoulder bag to a stroller bag.
- 10 total pockets including two mesh side bottles, front zip pocket, easy access pocket and machine washable cushioned changing pad.
- Patented shuttle clips, nonslip stroller straps, BPA-free, Phthalate-free.Holds tablets and laptops up to 15 inches
The messenger style diaper bag features tote handles allowing versatility in how you carry the bag. You have the option between the grab handles or the adjustable shoulder strap with a slip-on shoulder pad. The diaper bag has 10 pockets, including two elasticized mesh side pockets that fit most sized bottles. It has an interior pocket that can hold a 15-inch laptop. The baby bag features an external D-ring where you can attach toys or a pacifier. The diaper bag is machine-washable and comes with a changing pad. The baby diaper bag can be easily converted from a shoulder bag into a stroller bag. The bag is made of 100 % polyester.
5. Arrows Weekender Tote Diaper Bag
- ORGANIZATION AND STORAGE: 6 total pockets (4 interior open pockets, 2 exterior deep bottle pockets)
- SPACE TO FIT IT ALL: Large size (18"x14"x6") Fits most breast pumps and pump supplies & great for cloth diapering mamas!
- TWO WAYS TO CARRY: Use the vegan leather top handles or the adjustable & removable cotton long crossbody strap
- IT'S WASHABLE!: Made of durable & washable cotton canvas (see cleaning instructions in description)
- WATER RESISTANT LINING: The white lining makes your things easy to find and is water resistant.
The Arrows Weekender diaper bag combines function and style. The diaper bag offers two ways of carrying it. You can use the vegan leather top handles or the adjustable & removable cotton long crossbody strap.
The Arrows Weekender baby bag features 6 pockets (4 interior open pockets and 2 exterior deep bottle pockets). The lining is water-resistant, while the whole bag is washable as it's made of washable cotton canvas.
Features To Consider When Buying The Best Diaper Bags
a) Types of Diaper Bags
- Backpack Diaper Bag
Backpack diaper bags can be considered the most popular style of diaper bags currently. These diaper bags are designed to carry and hold lots of baby gear. They feature plenty of compartments and pockets that allow for easy organizing.
The best part is that some of the best ones are dad-friendly, allowing men to walk around with the diaper bag. A diaper backpack is great as it allows you to be hands-free, and with great padding, your shoulders and back should be feeling super comfortable.
- Messenger Style Diaper Bag
These diaper bags offer you two different styles of carrying them. They come with a shoulder strap that allows you to sling the bag across your body. The other option is top grab handles. They feature plenty of pockets, allowing you to store all of your baby gear and have some sections where you can store your own things.
These diaper bags tend to be very spacious hence making it quite easy to find things. The only downside is the weight, as an overpacked messenger bag can be quite heavy and therefore harder to carry on just one shoulder. Investing in one with a padded shoulder is ideal as it makes it easier to carry, especially on those days when you may need to carry a little extra.
- Tote Diaper Bag
A diaper tote bag combines functionality and style. It's the best diaper bag for new parents as it serves more like a purse than a backpack or messenger bag. It's quite versatile in that it can be used as a pumping bag or even a traveling bag. The downside is that it has less space; hence it tends to be slightly harder to organize than other diaper bags.
- Convertible Diaper Bag
These diaper bags have become a popular option for both new moms and veterans for their style and versatility. What makes the convertible diaper bag special is that you literally have everything you need in one. They can be converted into different styles like a backpack.
b) Easy to Clean
Walking or traveling around with a baby means always being ready to clean up. This could be anything from milk and juice spills, pop, pee, spit-up; regardless of how hard your try, your bag is bound to get dirty. Hence it's key to choose a bag that you can wipe clean and can later be tossed in the washing machine. Steer clear from materials that easily stain and are hard to clean.
You'll spend quite some time carrying your bag hence you want to buy one with a comfortable strap. Look for long, adjustable straps. They should be padded shoulder straps as these will ensure you feel comfortable when you're carrying the bag. Having an adjustable strap allows you to keep it from slipping off your arm, especially when sharing it with a partner or caregiver.
Size is crucial when it comes to your bag. The last thing you need is to buy a bag and not fit everything you need. Your bag should consider your needs first and be able to accommodate extras, be it a change in clothes or diaper wipes.
e) Extra Pockets and Storage
Diaper bags with plenty of outer pockets make it easy to find whatever you need without having to go through the trouble of rustling through your neatly packed main compartment. These pockets are pretty great in that you can also use them for your own essentials such as keys, cell phone, and wallet.
These bags are all about organization. That's why they come with plenty of both interior and exterior pockets. Pockets are designed to let you quickly find what you’re looking for right when you need them. The key is to ensure that your bag has sufficient usable and easily accessible pockets.
Bags with zippered pockets and compartments are great for helping you stay organized. They tend to feature things like pockets for bottles and compartments for different gear.
In terms of compartments, there should always be different compartments in your bag consisting of larger and smaller ones. The large compartments are ideal for fitting diapers and clothes, while the smaller compartments can fit lotions, pacifiers, rash cream, bibs, etc. Some compartments have water-resistant/waterproof lining and are ideal for placing feeding bottles, flasks, or soiled clothes.
- Stroller clip
Stroller straps can be considered a necessity dependent on the environment you're in. If you're in more of an urban environment, then you might consider them one. Some bags do include them.
- Changing pad
Though these come in many diaper bags, they are not always large enough. Hence, it's important to check the size as your baby grows. Some are thin; thus, you should be prepared to pack a blanket or pad of your own if the one included is not the required size.
- Wipe carrying case
Some bags come with these, but you can always buy a travel case or use a plastic sandwich bag.
- Inner tethered accessory bag
You can easily access it but it provides a little more security.
- Insulated pockets
These are great for breastmilk and formula, but you can also get by with warm or cool packs.
Color can be pretty sensitive, especially if you're gifting the bag for a baby shower or plan to share it. It could also be that you want your partner to feel comfortable carrying the bag around. Hence finding a gender-neutral color bag can help make people feel comfortable.
h) Waterproof Lining
Accidents are bound to happen when dealing with a baby. They are bound to spill something or get their clothes soiled. Whatever the case may be, having waterproof lining helps as it keeps your gear intact. It makes the cleanup process easier.