Small spaces are not new to babies because they have spent a good nine months in the womb in most cases. However, welcoming a new family member to the home or moving to a new place demands an intelligent and efficient use of the available space. What better way to use space than with a baby bassinet made not only to blend in but fit in without being an inconvenience to the occupants in the house. We will tell you everything to know about baby bassinets and share our top picks for the best bassinets for small spaces.
What is a Bassinet?
When a baby is four months or less, they spend most of their time sleeping. A baby bassinet is the most convenient method for a small baby because it provides comfort and convenience in one package. The newborn baby needs to sleep in the same room as yourself, but not in the same bed. A bassinet makes for a good bedside sleeper because it is not as enormous as a crib and occupies just enough space to not get in the way of anything.
Bassinets are made for comfort, reliability and convenience. Therefore, a baby bassinet will be portable and lightweight. However, the features make a bassinet only safe for babies under four months who still can not roll over or require a lot of space. Now that you know what a bassinet does, we will help you pick the best for small spaces that will be safe and comfortable for your little angel.
Which is the best bassinets for small spaces?
Buy on Amazon
Best Bassinets For Small Spaces
1. Dream On Me Karley Bassinet
- LIGHT and VERSATILE:The Karley Bassinet is designed with a lightweight aluminum frame that allows you to move it easily from room to room. It comes with a no-tool assembly and quick-folding mechanism. Use it indoors and carry it outdoors without any hassle
- ROOMY INTERIORS: With dimensions of 34.5Lx19.5Wx37H inches, the Karley is as spacious as they come . The roomy, airy bassinet features an adjustable double canopy that keeps bugs away; there is also a large storage bag to hold your babies’ essentials
- STYLISH LOOK: The Karley is made out of a soft, safe and comfortable polyester foam fabric, which is easy to clean. It is available in nine beautiful finishes, allowing it to blend in beautifully with the nursery of your dreams
- MATTRESS INCLUDED: It includes a dual-sided 1-inch thick mattress pad as recommended by the ASTM and CPSC. Mattress pad specs are 30Lx15Wx1H inches. It meets flame retardants requirement of CPSC.
- OTHER SPECS: The Karley Bassinet weighs 12.4lbs and is recommended for newborns up to 25lbs. The height with the canopy is 37 inches, height without is 27. Folded Dimension: 19.5 x 6 x 32 H inches
Dream On Me is the best bassinet for small spaces that you can find in the market today. The bassinet works perfectly for small spaces right after you get your baby. The bedside is, in most cases, not a very large space, and Dream On Me will fit right in the spaces you need it to. The bassinet is light and versatile, making portability a possibility. In addition, the bassinet has an adjustable canopy that keeps the bugs away and keeps the baby safe from bites.
Dream on me is a stylish bassinet that will fit well in your bedroom and other places that you wish to move the lightweight bassinet. Dream on is the bassinet, and we strongly recommend the brand that already enjoys excellent reviews.
2. Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bedside Bassinet
- Lights and sounds: Features a calming nightlight and soothing music. Baby bassinet requires 4 AA batteries (not included)
- Perfect for naps or bedtime: Adjustable, removable canopy helps block light to create a serene sleep environment
- Easy to use: Large storage basket provides ample storage for all things baby | Locking wheels for easy room-to-room mobility | Includes mattress pad and fitted sheet
- Size: 21 L x 35.5 D x 45.5 H inches
- We put your baby's safety first: JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM
The Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings bassinet is a safe option for your baby when it comes to buying bassinets. The bassinet makes accessing your baby the easiest thing, characteristic of the best bassinets for small spaces. Sweet Beginnings lives true to its name by providing your baby with a great environment to spend time in. The bassinet for small spaces has soothing sounds that calm your baby down. In addition, the cozy bassinet has a soft night light that keeps the baby visible in the night.
New Beginnings is the best bassinet for small spaces because of the features that put the baby's safety first at all times.
3. Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet for Small Spaces
- Calming sway motion generated by you or baby.
- Dual-mode lighting. Choose from soothing projection and night light (Light projection unit is removable & can be used as a tabletop soother.)
- Flat sleeping surface with deluxe overhead mobile
- 30 minutes of calming vibrations, music and sounds
- Optional lock-out to minimize swaying motion
Fisher-Price is the best bassinet for small spaces because of the features that are unmatched by other brands. The bassinet has a calming sway that can be generated by the baby when awake. The motion keeps the baby calm when you are tending other things. The bassinet has 30 minutes of calming sounds and vibrations with music included to calm the baby further,
For parents who do not want the rocking, the bassinet has a locking mechanism that prevents rocking when you do not need the feature. Fisher-Price has been around for a while and is still in the market because of its reliability.
4. Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet
- MAXIMUM SAFETY: Sleep soundly knowing your baby is safely nestled in the bedside sleeper. Anchors at the bottom firmly secure the bassinet to your adult bed to make sure it stays snug and in place. JMPA certified.
- STYLYISH AND COZY: Your little one will rest on a comfy, yet firm mattress surrounded by breathable, mesh walls that keep air circulating. At Baby Delight, we believe that parents should still have beautiful things. Because of that, the Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet is meant to fit in any home’s decor.
- FULL ACCESSABLILITY: When it is in bedside sleeper mode, simply unzip the panel closest to your bed to bring your baby close to your side. Easily lean over to nurse, comfort, or just check on your baby during the night. Sometimes you just need to know that they are right there beside you.
- USE FOR ANY BED: Our high-quality baby bassinet can be adjusted to 6 different height positions, which means you can change the height to fit most adult beds. Simply turn the knob on the side to bring the bassinet to your desired height.
- DESIGNED IN USA: Easy, tool free assembly & trusted by parents for over 20 years. Locally owned and operated in Rhode Island, USA.
Baby Delight bassinet is a safe and comfortable bassinet that fits right in your limited space while keeping the baby comfortable. The mobile bassinet for small spaces can come into any room without any inconveniences. The bassinet further impresses with six adjustable positions that can monitor the baby from your bed or when you are working. Baby Delight has the best bassinet for small spaces with a stylish design that looks intentional.
The bassinet has been around for 20 years and has thrived through the years because of its clients' reliability. So you can trust Baby Delight to take your baby through the night comfortably.
5. Simmons Kids Bed City Sleeper Bassinet
- KEEP BABY SAFELY BY YOUR BED: A great alternative to bed sharing, this bedside sleeper keeps Baby close the slim base with wheels easily slides under your bed, sofa or chair making it a safe, separate space for your baby
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: 5 adjustable heights allow you to pick the height that works for your bed clear view | Mesh sides provide an unobstructed view of Baby and help with airflow
- AMPLE STROAGE: Large storage pockets on each end provide space for burp clothes, small toys or pacifiers
- EASY TO CLEAN: Washable fabric fitted sheet and 1-inch comfort mattress pad
- SIZE: Assembled dimensions: 31 L x 19.5 W x 41.5 H Inches | SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS: JPMA certified; meets or exceeds ASTM and applicable CPSC standards
Simmons Kids is an all-in-one package for your baby, making it one of the best bassinets for small spaces. The bassinet has pockets for keeping baby gear and other things you might need to have at all times when you need them. The pockets get rid of the cumbersome process of carrying around things that fill your hands for no apparent reason. You will no longer rely on a carry bag for your essential items. Simmons Kids is a trusted brand because of the safety features that the brand prioritizes for its users.
Simmons Kids is the best bassinet for small spaces because it is easy to clean, creating a safe environment for your baby at all times. Co-sleeping no longer has to worry you as you will have the baby right beside you all night. Regardless of whether you are sleeping on a tall bed, the bassinet is adjustable and will match the height of your bed. The five adjustable heights make the bed reliable and versatile.
How to Choose the Best Bassinets for Small Spaces
A portable design should be one of the features you look for in a bassinet. The best bassinet will be a portable bassinet because what would be the use of one if you could not move it? A bassinet should have a small size and light-weight materials to make it easier for you to carry from one room to another. A small-sized bassinet can fit in small spaces, including the car or your bedside. A bassinet that can fold and has snap-on legs has an added advantage, especially when transporting the bassinet. A bassinet that can disassemble is better for transportation and storage once you are done using it. Finally, a small bassinet will most likely be portable and fit in your car when traveling.
As we have established, we are looking for bassinets that can fit small spaces. However, that should not be the reason why you buy a small bassinet. A bassinet should have a small size that is small enough for the baby but not large enough to roll over. At a very young age, a baby should not sleep facing downwards. Therefore, a bedside bassinet should be small in size to both fit your bedroom and keep the baby safe at all times.
A small-sized bedside bassinet has advantages to it other than just keeping the baby safe. Storing the bassinet once you are done using it will not be a hassle as it will occupy a small space in the storage room. In addition, a small bassinet is better when you are about to travel because you will only require a small space to place the bassinet.
c) Age and Weight Limit
Most babies are within the weight limit of a bassinet. However, the limits of a bassinet need to be adhered to for the baby to be safe at all times. Once the baby outgrows the bassinet, you should stop using it and get a crib instead. Getting a crib will prevent the baby from rolling over and give them enough space to wiggle and move around. Before you know it, they will need an adult bed because they grow up so fast. The safety features will not help much if the baby can not stay safe in the bassinet.
You need to check for the instructions on the bassinet before you place your little angel in them. Most bassinets have clear instructions that give the age and weight limits that should be followed to the latter.
d) Mattress Pad
The mattress pad is where your baby will have direct contact with the bassinet. The best bassinet for small spaces has hard mattresses that are not spongy. You might be worried that your baby needs a soft and comfortable mattress to lay on. On the contrary, a hard mattress is safe for the baby because the chances of the baby suffocating while on the mattress are reduced, especially when the baby somehow manages to roll over. When the baby has the mattress on its face, breathing should be possible without any hardships.
Apart from the mattress having a rigid foam, the baby bassinet should have beddings that ensure the baby's safety comes first. The sheets should perfectly fit the bassinet to avoid any choking hazards. You need to ensure you have an extra sheet on the mattress in case of an inevitable diaper explosion. The mattress needs to have a waterproof cover for obvious reasons. Finally, the mattress should fit perfectly in the bassinet without having any spaces on the sides.
e) Compact Bassinet Design
The gentle rocking motion is one of the best ways of putting the baby to sleep, and you might be tempted to get a rocking bassinet. However, a rocking bassinet is not the best idea for an infant. The rocking is helpful when putting the baby to sleep, and that is all you need rocking for. However, apart from putting the baby to sleep, rocking poses a danger of turning the baby over, increasing the risk of suffocating. In addition, when the baby can move around, rocking makes it easy for the bassinet to shift its weight and increases the chances of falling.
A compact design makes the bassinet stable and safe for the baby that is hungry for motion. In addition, you can keep the baby entertained through other methods, including soothing sounds and calming vibrations while leaving the gentle rocking movement on your hands.
Bassinets are all about saving space. One of the creative ways of using a bassinet is by having storage space underneath the unit. Ample storage pockets come in handy when keeping the baby's essentials. Extra storage is gold when the baby is not in the bedroom where you usually sleep or travel. You do not have to bring storage baskets with you everywhere you go when you can get a bassinet that can provide the storage. Bassinets are all about making good use of the limited space you have while eliminating bed-sharing. Storage is a feature that will not let you down.
g) Type of Bassinet
Baby bassinets come in all shapes and sizes. However, the different shapes can get in the way of conveniently accessing or working the bassinet. Different bassinet shapes have their advantages by conveniently fitting in without taking too much space. A suitable bassinet should be able to let your baby sleep anywhere sleep gets them. Here are some types of bassinets you should look out for when picking a baby bassinet.
1. Swiveling Baby Bassinets
Swiveling bassinets have a rotating base that makes it easier for the parent to check on their baby while asleep. The bassinets make good use of small space since you do not have to move the whole bassinet, not including the base. The bassinets are perfect for tending the baby without having to move around. You can quickly check on the baby without having to move around the bassinet. Swiveling bassinets need to have a sturdy base that ensures the baby does not rock when swiveling.
A 360-degree swiveling baby bassinet will not only save space but make it easy to have the baby close to you at all times when you are in bed. Young babies can detect motion quickly, and you need to have a smoothly swiveling bassinet if you have to get one.
2. Bedside Sleepers
Bedside sleepers are made as an extension of your bed. You can have the baby right beside you and not in the same bed. A bedside baby basset can mount onto your bed and is a massive advantage for breastfeeding moms. You can sleep comfortably while at the arm reach of the baby. Your comfort and the baby's comfort are guaranteed with these bedside sleepers that protect babies by having them right close to the parent.
A bedside sleeper has a space on one side that allows you to reach the baby as fast as possible without getting up or leaving your bed.
3. Co-Sleeper Bassinets
Co-sleepers are the best bassinet types because of their versatility and flexibility. You can use a co-sleeper bassinet right close to your bed or carry it to another room where you can easily monitor the baby as it sleeps. A co-sleeper bassinet pulls right next to your bed for you to monitor the baby at all times while asleep. A co-sleeper has adjustable heights that make it possible to have the baby at your bed's height when asleep and at an average height when you are awake. The fact that the baby needs a different sleeping environment does not mean they have to be away from you as you sleep.
Safety Precautions When Using a Bassinet
You can have the best bassinets for small spaces with the best design. However, if you do not take extra safety precautions, you will sabotage your baby's wellbeing. Here are tips to ensure the baby is safe inside the bassinet at all times.
i) No Stuffed Animals
Making the best use of the tiny spaces to keep the baby entertained means getting toys. Yes, teddy bears are cute and stuffed animals are the best, not for the baby, though. Stuffed animals pose a suffocation risk to the baby. Stuffed animals are a good idea, especially when you do not want the baby to bite on toys with complex parts. However, you have to go as far as not having beddings with soft parts to keep the baby safe at all times. Keep the stuffed toys away until the baby is older and has a crib instead of a bassinet. Imagine the baby sharing the small bassinet with the giant teddy bear someone brought during the baby shower. No.
ii) Do Not Carry the Bassinet with the Baby Inside
A portable bassinet is a very romantic idea. However, it is not a good idea to carry a bassinet with the baby inside. You might find yourself in a situation where you need to move to a different room without waking the baby asleep in the bassinet. Maybe in the past, it took you a long time to convince the baby to sleep, and you used all the tricks at your disposal. If you have to move the bassinet with the baby inside, ensure you get a bassinet with wheels that can smoothly roll on the floor without waking the baby.
The best bassinet for small spaces is designed for convenience. Carrying the bassinet around is pretty inconvenient, and it only makes sense to get a bassinet with wheels. A bassinet with wheels blends smoothly into small spaces without you having to worry about lifting anything.
iii) Buy Certified Bassinets and Avoid Second Hands/Borrowed
Baby delivery and birth is one of the most expensive health processes one can ever experience. There is everything that needs to be bought and considered. There is a lot that is changing in your house and your life. Sometimes it makes sense to save on costs as much as possible, and one of the best ways is getting a used bassinet from your friend. Getting a used bassinet is not the best idea, especially if it is a wooden bassinet. Wooden bassinets may gather mold if not stored properly. Wood degrades over time, and the dust accumulated is not safe for the infant.
When buying a new bassinet, you need to check for a few standard features and certifications. For example, the best bassinet for a small space has the ASTM requirements that ensure all products you buy are safe for use on a newborn baby. In addition, a bassinet that you are buying needs to have a JPMA seal that ensures all juvenile products are safe and sound for use by infants.
iv) Suspended Toys
One way of keeping the baby entertained is using suspended toys that the baby's attention can be drawn to when they are awake. However, the suspended toys can pose a considerable risk to your baby within no time. If the baby can grab the suspended toys, the string used to suspend the toys is unsafe because it poses a strangulation hazard. If you have to hang toys on the bassinet, ensure that the toys are hanging higher than the baby's reach.
A good bassinet is a handy item to own. If you have a small space to work with, there are a lot of bassinets to choose from. However, the best bassinets for small spaces are characterized by more than just a tiny size. As we have discussed, you need to consider many factors that culminate into a safe bedside bassinet. Always remember that the baby's safety comes first, followed by how you feel and your opinion about things. Not the other way around. For instance, you might feel like your baby deserves the softest mattress in the world to sleep on. However, safety means that a hard mattress is appropriate for the baby to prevent suffocation. Safety first!