Newborn skin is different from adult skin. Newborn skin is lighter than an adults. This means it also loses moisture faster. Therefore, an everyday lotion should be a staple in your child's bedtime routine. When you apply baby lotion, it creates a moisture barrier and protects your infant's skin. Healthy skin is promoted by aiding your infant's skin with the best baby lotion.
What Is Baby Lotion?
Baby lotion is an emollient substance that is used to moisturize delicate baby skin. Newborn babies are prone to skin dryness, baby eczema, and baby acne. Baby lotion is specially formulated and clinically proven to be gentle enough for everyday use. Moisturizing your baby's skin after a bath is important for keeping the skin healthy.
Certified organic ingredients in small quantities are used to make baby lotions. Dry air and frequent baths can cause cracked skin on your child. Commercial grade baby lotions can be used, but other natural oils like sweet almond oil can also be beneficial for sensitive skin. It is noteworthy that baby skin is usually soft and naturally moisturized.
Because of the natural moisturization, it is not necessary to apply lotion emollient on your baby, but it will not cause your child any harm if you did. With baby lotion, a little is the way to go. The best baby lotion is also hypoallergenic to be moisturizing and healing to your baby's skin. Now that you have a rough idea of what baby lotion is, let's analyze the 5 best baby lotions.
Best Baby Lotion For Sensitive Skin
1) Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Body Lotion
- 18-fluid ounces of Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Body Lotion with natural colloidal oatmeal, dimethicone and rich emollients features a naturally nourishing formula that moisturizes for a full 24 hours
- From a pediatrician- and dermatologist-recommended brand, this baby moisturizing lotion is specially formulated to be gentle enough for babies' delicate skin
- Formulated with natural colloidal oatmeal and dimethicone skin protectant, this oatmeal baby lotion helps prevent and protect dry skin and is gentle enough for everyday use
- Hypoallergenic baby lotion is non-greasy and free of fragrance, parabens, steroids, phenoxyethanol, and phthalates so it won't irritate your little one's sensitive skin
- This daily baby lotion is naturally nourishing and provides relief from chafed, chapped or cracked skin so your baby's delicate skin is protected and moisturized
Aveeno baby lotion is infused with natural colloidal oatmeal and Dimethicone. It is non-greasy and easily glides over the skin to create a protective barrier. In addition, it provides relief from chaffed skin and lips. It contains no harsh chemicals such as parabens, fragrances, and steroids. Still, it is not only soothing; it is also a preventative measure.
It does not have any irritants, such as nuts, which can cause severe allergic reactions. This also will not clog the pores, and it will ensure the skin remains supple and protected. It is also fragrance-free, and this is important because fragrances cause irritation, especially on sensitive baby skin. This lotion is usually formulated to be gentle enough on baby skin.
Eczema-prone skin will also benefit from this baby lotion. It is also an unscented baby lotion and is perfect for healing chapped skin and flaky skin as well. Furthermore, it is gluten-free and dairy-free, perfect for infants allergic to dairy and gluten.
2) Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion
- Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion: Specially designed to moisturize and protect baby’s sensitive skin from dryness.
- 24 Hour Moisture: Moisturizes your baby’s delicate skin for 24 hours
- Dermatologist Recommended Brand: Cetaphil Baby is dedicated to expert care for your baby's delicate skin
- Formulated with Vitamin E and Sweet Almond Oil: Along with sunflower seed oil and unsaturated acids to further soften skin
- Safe and Gentle : Paraben free, colorant free, mineral oil free and hypoallergenic
Cetaphil gently nourishes, cleanses, and moisturizes even the most sensitive skin. Made with gentle skin and natural ingredients, this baby lotion will soothe even the most irritated skin. This body lotion also soothes baby dry skin. It is paraben-free, mineral oil-free, and the best lotion for combating dryness.
The best baby lotion also leaves the skin nourished and feeling hydrated. We guarantee your baby will sleep well after a massage with the Cetaphil lotion. It also leaves your baby's skin soft and is perfect for everyday use and a bedtime routine. You should reapply it as often as you need to keep your baby's skin problem-free.
Cetaphil is lightweight and helps your baby's skin remain soft and protected from extremely dry skin. It is free of synthetic fragrances and is perfect on a newborn's skin. It is also great with diaper rash and soothes and treats inflamed areas. In addition, it is suitable for use on your baby's face as well as the whole body.
3) Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil
- 14-fluid ounce bottle of pure baby oil, formulated to help moisturize babies' delicate skin, and protect skin from dryness, great for relieving dry skin or rough patches
- Pure baby mineral oil forms a silky moisturizing barrier to help prevent excess moisture loss and lock in up to 10 times more moisture on wet skin than an ordinary lotion can on dry skin
- Baby oil is clinically proven to be gentle and mild for baby's skin, easy to spread, ideal for baby massage and relaxing bonding experience for you and your baby
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested baby oil contains no parabens, or phthalates, and is specially formulated for babies' delicate skin,
- Gentle baby oil is allergy-tested and lightly scented, leaves baby's skin feeling soft, smooth and smelling sweet
The Johnson & Johnson baby oil locks up to ten times more moisture into the skin than any other lotion or oil. The best baby lotion has a gentle and mild formula. It is lightweight and easy to spread. This makes it great for dry and rough patches. It is also mildly scented and will last for at least 24 hours after application.
Depending on the baby's skin, this moisturizer is great for dry skin, flaky patches, diaper rash, and flaky patches. It forms a silky barrier on the skin, protecting the skin from outside elements like weather and drying out after baths. It is also specially made for babies and is allergy tested to prevent allergic reactions.
Additionally, Johnson's baby lotion is dermatologically tested and proven not to contain any toxic chemicals such as parabens and phthalates. Also, it prevents excess moisture loss. Because it is not in a lotion form, it locks moisture better. However, it can also be hot for your baby's skin. But massaging oil into your baby's skin after a bath can be the best decision for the baby's skin health.
4) Earth Mama Sweet Orange Baby Lotion
This sweet orange baby lotion is lightly scented with no petroleum, parabens, mineral oils, or artificial fragrance. It provides nourishment and is the best baby lotion for babies of all ages. The organic oils and herbs in this organic baby lotion are formulated to be irritant and allergen-free. For the longest time, earth mama has made the best creams for a range of issues.
It is specially made for baby eczema and provides itch relief. It can also be used on expectant mothers who are breastfeeding with no worry or effect caused to the baby. The blend of ingredients calms and soothes any sensitive skin. It is safe to use on chapped lips and the baby's face. Furthermore, it is safe for vegans, and it is gluten-free.
Apart from being safe to use on the whole body, it is safe for sensitive, oily, and dry skin. It is formulated to be hypoallergenic, and your baby's skin will not break out in hives. In addition, it is the best baby lotion to be used and utilized after a shower.
5) Aquaphor Healing Ointment
This light fragrance is best suited for everyday application, even on your young ones. It is a thick cream that is emollient at the same time. It is also the best baby lotion for use on infant skin. Of course, you want to treat your baby's skin with care. This can be your baby's daily moisture lotion. In addition to being preservatives-free, it is also fragrance-free.
It is an excellent choice for cracked skin and is great when used to restore skin back to its health. Furthermore, it also comes in different colors due to the nature of all organic ingredients. A change of color does not indicate it is less useful or active. It merely shows that it is sulfate-free.
With all its benefits, it still offers more. It is great on the skin for people of all ages. It creates a protective moisture barrier for protection against cold weather, hot air, and temperature spikes. The formulation makes it suitable for all-day use.
When To Apply Baby Lotion
a) Apply On Dry Or Patchy Areas
Dry skin on babies is not uncommon. It can happen under many circumstances, the most common being after a bath. After gently patting dry your baby's very sensitive skin, a gentle massage with baby oil will help to relax and moisturize the skin. In addition, you may notice dry and patchy areas on your child's skin.
A fragrance-free formula might be the least hypoallergenic for patchy areas. Furthermore, some baby lotions are medicated for very dry skin or patchy skin. They soothe the localized area and prevent dry skin from reoccurring.
b) Apply After A Bath
Showers on your infant generally make their skin dry. So the best baby lotion would be ideal. So would a commercial grade type. Either way applying the best baby lotion on your baby after a bath could be the best decision. After a bath, the baby's skin is still damp and hence can create a skin barrier of moisture.
Enhanced and moisturized baby skin is essential to help your infant fight normal skin conditions like baby acne. Lotions that are mild and fragrance-free are typically recommended because they are hypoallergenic and do not further irritate already irritated skin.
c) Apply When You Notice Rashes
Usually, children develop rashes due to harsh soap or bathing more than three times every week. Usually, when rashes develop, there is no cause for concern. However, itchy skin comes with the appearance of rashes. Therefore, your doctor will advise you to use a mild and fragrance-free baby lotion. Sometimes, it is also safe to use natural oils.
In addition, weather changes also influence what happens to your baby's skin. You need to keep your baby's skin moisturized through different weather to prevent skin infections, acute dryness and cracking, as well as general discomfort.
How Do I Know What Moisturizer Would Be Best?
i) Choosing A Hypoallergenic Moisturizer
First of all, you don't want to cause any allergic reactions to your baby's skin. Therefore, choosing the right product will heavily influence the health of your child's skin. Secondly, a fragrance-free and mild lotion is your best friend. It would be awesome if you kept the scented lotions at bay because the fragrances cause allergic reactions to sensitive skin.
ii) Choosing A Dermatologist Recommended Lotion
Before buying baby lotion, you should ensure it is recommended by a dermatologist or your baby's doctor. If you don't have an idea, you can also research the ingredients and find the mildest and good for sensitive skin. But, again, ensure you have medical advice before purchasing a baby lotion for your young one.
iii) Choosing A Moisturizer Without Harsh Chemicals
Harsh ingredients such as different dyes, parabens, sulfates, preservatives, and other harmful chemicals can be detrimental to the health of the skin. In addition, harsh chemicals tend to worsen any existing conditions. Therefore a moisturizer without any toxic ingredients is the best for your child's face and body.
iv) Choosing Other Alternatives
There are other alternatives to baby lotion, such as olive oil and almond oil, which can help with your infant's skin conditions. However, before using vitamin A-D or any other emollients, you should ask your doctor if they are safe to use for you and your baby. In addition, some organic oils can be too harsh on your skin, and you must consult your doctor.
Safety Controls For Applying Baby Lotion
Applying lotion to a newborn is not rocket science. However, babies are very delicate. It is important that you don't injure your child as you apply lotion on them. Since a newborn's skin needs attention, you should consider all options before choosing the right one for your young one. Here are some safety tips for applying lotion on your baby:
- Wash any new clothes before putting them on your child. This will get rid of most allergens and irritants.
- Choose a safe lotion or oil for your infant free of harsh chemicals and dyes.
- Avoid using many products on your baby's skin.
- Don't bathe your child more than three times a week. This could potentially dry out your child's skin and lead to dry and flaky skin.
- When applying lotion on your baby, trim your nails to prevent scratches and infections on your child's skin.
- Maintain general hygiene and clean your hands before applying lotion to your infant.
Whatever baby lotion or moisturizer you pick out, you should know that your child's skin will benefit from moisturizing and hydration. Baby lotions soothe the skin and keep moisture in the skin. However, there is no single lotion that will suit one baby. Therefore, you should consult your doctor if your child develops any skin issues.